Volleyball off to best start to program with 3-1 win over Butler
Box score (PDF)
MILWAUKEE – Led by a triple-double from the setter Anchanted YadhiraMarquette University’s No. 19 women’s volleyball team earned a 3-1 win over Butler on Saturday night at the Al McGuire Center for their ninth straight victory.
The Golden Eagles (11-1, 2-0 BIG EAST) took a 25-12 victory in the first set and closed the game with 25-8 and 25-19 wins in the third and fourth frames, respectively. They lost the second set, 25-22, after reaching 0.174.
Anchante recorded a career-high 10 kills, 46 assists and 13 digs for his first NCAA triple-double. outside hitter Jenna Reitma led United with 13 kills of .367 with 15 digs. Aubrey Hamilton (11 casualties and 11 recoveries) and Carsen Murray (10 kills and five blocks) also reached double figures.
The Bulldogs (7-7, 1-1 BIG EAST) reached .137 and were led by 11 kills from Mariah Grunze and Megan Sheridan.
- Marquette’s 11-1 start to the season is an NCAA Division I program record.
- Marquette is 18-9 against Butler and 17-3 since BU joined the BIG EAST for the 2013 campaign. The Golden Eagles have swept the previous two meetings and won eight of the last nine contests, at the except for a five-set loss to Butler on March 5, 2021.
- Butler beat DePaul Friday night in four sets before the match in Milwaukee.
- MU hit a game-high .424 (16-2-33) in the 25-8 third-set victory. It’s the only time this season that an opponent hasn’t hit double figures in a set against United.
- The Golden Eagles trailed 17-13 in the fourth set before rallying with seven straight points to take the lead for good.
- Five United players hit double-digit digs, led by the Libero Carly Skrabak with 19.
- Reitsma and Hamilton each had a game-high 14.5 points, with both players having a pair of blocks and Hamilton adding two service aces.
NEXT: The Golden Eagles wrap up their 10-game home streak next weekend against UConn on Friday, September 30 and Providence on Saturday, October 1.
Follow the Marquette University women’s volleyball program on social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteVB) and Instagram (@MarquetteVB) and “like” on Facebook (/MarquetteVolleyball).